At the beginning of this year, as I have done in the previous few years, I made a list of things that I wanted to do in the course of the year:
- try archery
- swim in Cotswold lakes [Coke’s Pit?]
- attend a rugby match
- do a one-day brewing experience (Hillside Brewery)
- participate in a gig
- make progress on memoirs - >10,000 words
- do at least 2 family interviews for genealogy and memoir
- participate in Malvern Walking Festival - at least 2 walks
- rent a camper van
- write/publish at least one photography article
- use my new food mixer at least 12 times in the year
- set up a wine tasting group
How did I do? Answer: not very well.
My list shows only 3 completed! In a number of cases I can legitimately use the pandemic as an excuse [or reason!], but, to be honest, not all. I think my retirement mindset - exploring a new way of living - has influenced me. Here is the debrief:
- Somehow this just didn’t happen. Certainly for a large part of the year, at least, archery clubs were not operating. I have identified a friend who may be able to guide me.
- The moment for this one never materialized. The weather was also a factor, as the best weather in this area was right at the beginning of the summer.
- Despite a couple of friends being enlisted to help make this happen, it did not. Again the pandemic limited the options.
- This was definitely prevented by COVID.
- No more music lessons meant that this did not happen.
- Miserable failure here, but related good news is that I have started work and made progress on a new book [about some software that I use].
- I can blame the pandemic for non-progress on this one.
- I blew this one away! I did 6 walks in 6 days and enjoyed it so much that I have done quite a few walks with a local walking group and even led one walk.
- Technically, I failed on this one, but it was really superseded by our purchase of a van. So, I will claim success!
- No excuse for failing this one.
- Another one blown away. Definitely used more than 12 times.
- Another pandemic victim, but I have discussed the idea with a few people, so it should happen.
For 2022, I am going to be more realistic and list 6 “things”. Coming soon …